St. Louis Regional Conference
Friday, March 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Research Compliance 101: What you should know even if you don’t think you are doing research
Ryan Meade, CHC-F, CHRC, JD, Director, Regulatory Compliance Studies, Loyola University Chicago School of Law
- Examine the basic legal risk areas in conducting clinical research
- Discuss how to find out if you are doing research and what research you are doing
- Explore how to work research compliance into a corporate compliance program
Do I REALLY have to do this?
David M. Glaser, Esq., Attorney at Law, Fredrikson & Byron
- What are the fraud, waste, and abuse training requirements?
- Do Medicare requirements apply to MA patients?
- Do I need to charge all patients the same fee?
OCR Hot Topics
Ashtan N. Mitchell, MA, MBA, Investigator, OCR - Midwest Region, Kansas City Office
Lieutenant Commander Joseph Ndifor, Equal Opportunity Specialist, OCR
- The current landscape of the OCR enforcement and compliance environment;
- Information regarding ransomware attacks and updates on privacy audits;
- Practical tips for responding to OCR inquiries.
Stark Law: What lessons have we learned from Halifax, Tuomey, North Broward, Adventist, and Columbus Regional Health?
Bob A. Wade, Partner, Healthcare Department, Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- Types of physician financial arrangements that are being attacked under the Stark Law.
- What does “based upon/varies with ‘volume or value’ of referrals” really mean under the Stark Law?
- Is “commercial reasonableness” overshadowing “fair market value”?
- What should providers be doing from a legal/compliance perspective based upon recent settlements?
Cyber Security: What’s New?
Tony Munns, IT Advisory Partner, Brown Smith Wallace LLP
- Breaches in the news
- Ransomware is growing fast
- How do we reduce risk
Government Enforcement Update
Andrew Lay, Assistant U.S. Attorney, Eastern District of MO
William Young, Assistant Special Agent in Charge, HHS OIG, Eastern District of MO
- Representatives from the Department of Justice and HHS OIG will discuss issues of interest for compliance professionals from recent healthcare cases in the Eastern District of Missouri