Sunday, January 26
-Pre Conference Pre Conference
08:00 AM - 09:30 AMP01: Ethics and Compliance Work Plan Essentials that Effectively Mitigate Risk Andrea Share, Exec Director, Ethics/Compliance Strategy & Ops, Kaiser Permanente Chanelle Gamble, Compliance Manager, Kaiser Permanente
- Explain the importance of conducting an ethics and compliance risk assessment and the relevance of risk assessments in an integrated care setting
- Describe the key components of a risk assessment, how to conduct a risk assessment, and the role of work planning for effective mitigation
- Introduce a "simple six step" approach to conducting a risk assessment, review a framework for defining risk, and discuss key takeaways for how the connection between risk assessment and work planning delivers business value
09:30 AM - 09:45 AMNetworking Break Mingle with your peers in the foyer before your next session starts.
09:45 AM - 11:15 AMP02: Cyber Threats and Compliance Challenges: How to Manage Technology Risk Jennifer Griveas, Chief Human Resources Officer & General Counsel, Eliza Jennings Senior Care Network Michael Gray, Vice President of IT and Compliance Officer, Eliza Jennings
- Identify biggest security threats to healthcare organizations
- Identify the value of integration of knowledgeable IT personnel into high-level operations team as a means to ensure compliance and effective risk mitigation
- Describe how best to implement technology solutions to enhance efficiency and productivity without sacrificing organizational security
12:30 PM - 02:00 PMBreakout Sessions#P03P03: The A to Zs of FDR, Delegate, and Subcontractor Oversight Steve Bunde, VP Integrity & Compliance & Internal Audit, HealthPartners Laurena Lockner, Sr Mgr Monitoring & Compliance, HealthPartners Rebecca Fuller, Corporate Compliance Officer, PrimeWest Health
General Compliance#P04P04: Compliance 2020: Compliance and Business Roles in Today’s Complex Regulatory Environment James Taylor, Manager, PricewaterhouseCoopers Christopher Schroeder, Director, PricewaterhouseCoopers Taline Avakian, Director of Compliance and Medicare Compliance Officer, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
- Prevent: Learn about CMS and state requirements for FDR, delegate, and subcontractor oversight and areas of audit focus
- Detect: Understand due diligence, contracting, risk assessment, and auditing and monitoring strategies - including key partnerships
- Correct: Discover what to do when issues are identified and how to incorporate those into the correct CMS Program Audit Universe
- Key developments and trends across the healthcare industry related to the evolving role of compliance and the role of business units
- How compliance has helped define the role of meeting regulatory requirements
- An understanding of embedded compliance support and/or performance/program support teams/units, and how risk ownership is driving the role of business units
02:00 PM - 02:15 PMNetworking Break Mingle with your peers in the foyer before your next session starts.
02:15 PM - 03:45 PMBreakout Sessions#P05P05: Effectively Managing Internal Investigations and Regulatory Disclosures Anne Crawford, Director, ATTAC Consulting Group LLC Annie Shieh, Sr Compliance Counsel, Central Health Plan of California Lori Benso, Member, Strategic Health Law
General Compliance#P06P06: Compliance Goals in Risk Adjustment Coding Dana Brown, President, Reimbursement Management Consultants, Inc. Dott Campo, Manager, Risk Adjustment Division, Reimbursement Mgmt Consultants, Inc. Rebecca Welling, Senior Director- Coding Compliance, Providence Health Plan Rebecca Welling, Senior Director- Coding Compliance, Providence Health Plan
- Methods to determine if communication infrastructure supports prompt identification of potential issues
- Strategies for initiating timely investigations that determine beneficiary and organizational impacts
- Common themes and regulatory disclosure approaches when deciding whether self-reporting to regulators is required or advisable
- Attorney-client privilege and litigation risk-management strategies
- Overview of Risk Adjustment reimbursement in the MA and ACA models
- Review of Risk Adjustment coding, HCC code capture accuracy, review of coding guidelines, rules & regulations
- In-depth review of most common compliance issues in coding in an RA environment, isolating the issues and giving tools to analyze them and make good compliant decisions
03:45 PM - 04:00 PMNetworking Break Mingle with peers and between sessions.
04:00 PM - 05:30 PMBreakout Sessions#P07P07: Special Supplemental Benefits and the FDRs that Provide Them - Unique Monitoring Challenges They Pose Jennifer Del Villar, Dir Gov Pgms Compliance, Cambia Health Solutions, Inc. Gail Blacklock, Compliance Officer , Inter Valley Health Plan
General Compliance#P08P08: Establishing a Best-Practice Approach for Your Compliance, Privacy, and Security Programs Bret Bissey, Vice President, Chief Compliance Officer, Gateway Health Kelly McLendon, Managing Partner, CompliancePro Solutions
- Unique monitoring challenges with unique FDRs
- Monitoring the member match - right member to the right supplemental benefit
- Tracking & monitoring health outcomes
- Learn how to utilize, in detail, the elements of the DHHS OIG Model Compliance Program(s) to develop a best practice for your compliance efforts
- Learn how to utilize the HIPAA Privacy and Security regulations and conduct a program assessment to create a best practice standard in your organization.
- Learn how best to formulate security, privacy, and compliance education programs in your organization, including a focus on being compliant at the top of the organization, by utilizing market knowledge to stimulate learning.
Monday, January 27
09:15 AM - 09:45 AMNetworking Break Mingle with peers and exhibitors between sessions.
09:45 AM - 10:45 AMBreakout Sessions#101101: The Compliance Officers Guide to a Successful Audit Michelle Rigby, Director, BluePeak Advisors, LLC Wendy Edwards, President & Chief Executive Officer, ATRIO Health Plans, Inc
General Compliance#102102: Exclusions v. Preclusions - Insights,Analytics, and Monitoring Best Practices after 1 Year of Releases Michael Rosen, Co-Founder, ProviderTrust, Inc Annie Shieh, Sr Compliance Counsel, Central Health Plan of California Liza Filtz-Freimark, Manager, Provider Operations, DentaQuest
- What can you do today to be prepared for an audit tomorrow?
- What resources does a compliance officer use to help identify gaps and prioritize issues in a lean organization with competing priorities?
- Consultants, a compliance officer’s best friend to support mitigation efforts, staffing augmentation, audit prep, and audit support
General Compliance#103103: Implementing a GRC Solution to Manage and Enhance Auditing & Monitoring Natalie Ramello, Vice President Chief Institutional Compliance Officer, UT Southwestern Rebecca Blades, Senior Manager, Audit & Monitoring, CommunityCare HMO, Inc.
- Trends, analytics, and learnings from the first year of monitoring & implementation
- Learn the crossover between the CMS Preclusion List and Federal and State Medicaid Exclusion Lists
- Predictive insights and future considerations for your provider network operations and SIU teams
- A roadmap for implementing a comprehensive GRC solution within their organization including how to make GRC successful and how to make it CMS compliant
- Best practices for adoption of a GRC model for auditing and monitoring
- An understanding of how to tie risks, policies and controls to your auditing and monitoring activities
10:45 AM - 11:00 AMNetworking Break Mingle between sessions with exhibitors.
11:00 AM - 12:00 PMBreakout Sessions#201201: Dual Products and MMP: Navigating State and Federal Oversight Deanna Simonds, Compliance Officer, UnitedHealthcare Anjenette Fenske, Compliance Officer, UnitedHealthcare Marla Rothouse, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
General Compliance#202202: How Bias and Perception Impact Compliance Ahmed Salim, Director of Ethics and Integrity, iRhythym Walter Johnson, Assistant Privacy Officer, Inova Health System
- The Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018 sets forth requirements for increased integration for Dual Special Needs Plans (DSNPs) by 2021. These unprecedented requirements will impact the landscape of duals products.
- This panel will provide insight on best practice, challenges, and the future state of dual products from both compliance officers from multiple managed care plans.
- The audience will hear perspectives from several seasoned compliance professionals overseeing different fully integrated dual products.
General Compliance#203203: Navigating Compliance Challenges for Integrated Payor-Provider Systems Randi Seigel, Partner, Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP Annie Miyazaki, SVP, Chief Compliance & Privacy Officer, Visiting Nurse Service of New York
- Breaking down why people make bad decisions
- Understanding how risk perception and inherent tendencies negatively impact compliance
- Utilizing tools to identify bias to increase compliance within your organization
- Key regulatory considerations relevant to intercompany arrangements, patient/member consent, and other documentation
- Tips for balancing plan versus provider regulatory frameworks and referral source/community partner needs
- Risks and opportunities in data sharing among affiliates under HIPAA and other privacy laws
01:15 PM - 02:15 PMBreakout Sessions#301301: Evolving Landscapes: False Claims Act and Managed Care Fraud Edward Baker, Counsel, Constantine Cannon LLP Nicholas Paul, Supervising Deputy Attorney General, CA Dept Justice
General Compliance#302302: Proactive vs Reactive in Risk Management - "Ring the Bell!" Fredy Rocha, Compliance Officer, Aetna, Inc. Tiffany Lewis, Director, Compliance, IlliniCare Health
- Medicare Advantage plans, Medicaid MCOs, and their partners, are increasingly attractive targets for FCA whistleblower lawsuits
- The U.S. DOJ and State MFCUs face many challenges, but are gaining traction against managed care fraud, including risk adjustment and network compliance fraud.
- Having a written compliance plan is not enough. MCOs must develop and implement systems that steer clear of FCA liability.
General Compliance#303303: Rx Data Driven Compliance Monitoring: Opioid Prescribing, Dispensing, and Utilization Francis Grabowski, Director, PricewaterhouseCoopers Ben Wright, Director, PricewaterhouseCoopers Sandhi Ton, Manager - Risk Management Analytics, SCAN Health Plan
- Identify challenges and explore practical experiences for conducting an effective risk assessment while building a proactive monitoring and auditing plan
- Identify proactive risk management, which consists of mitigating the risks of threat events before these might possibly occur and negatively impact the organization
- Identify reactive risk management, which consists of responding to risk events as they occur to mitigate negative impacts to the organization