Friday, February 14
07:00 AM - 07:55 AMRegistration and Continental Breakfast
07:55 AM - 08:00 AMWelcome and Announcements
08:00 AM - 09:15 AMProtecting the Integrity of Health and Human Services Sylvia Hernandez Kauffman, Inspector General, Texas Health and Human Services Office of Inspector
- Understand OIG’s role in ensuring the integrity of state health and human services
- Understand OIG’s tools to prevent fraud, waste and abuse
- Understand how providers can help prevent fraud, waste and abuse
09:15 AM - 09:30 AMBreak
09:30 AM - 10:45 AMPhysician Arrangements - Really, that’s illegal? Bob Karl, Vice President, CFO , CHRISTUS Clinic Brandee Todd, Vice President , Physician Enterprise Counsel
- Significant areas of legal risk
- Foundations of a compliant approach to physician compensation
- Potential pitfalls and emerging trends
10:45 AM - 11:00 AMBreak
11:00 AM - 12:00 PMDOJ’s Recent Prosecutions Under the Travel Act: Practical Implications for the Healthcare Industry Andrew Wirmani, Assistant US Attorney, US Attorney's Office Kate Pfeifle, Former Assistant United States Attorney , Northern District of Texas
- How has DOJ utilized the Travel Act and other statutes to address bribery beyond government program money?
- What legal challenges have been brought to this theory, and how have courts ruled?
- What is the impact on compliance programs?
- What new developments are on the horizon?
12:00 PM - 01:00 PMLunch (provided)
01:00 PM - 02:15 PMOCR Update
02:15 PM - 02:30 PMBreak
02:30 PM - 03:45 PMPhysician Arrangements Panel Curtis Bernstein, Principal, Pinnacle Healthcare Consulting Brian Flood, Partner - Attorney, Husch Blackwell LLP
- Difficulties in physician arrangements
- FMVs under recent cases like the Forest Park and Victory Hospital cases in Texas
- How cases create new difficulties that legal, operations and compliance must address
Agenda subject to change.