Compliance certification by the profession, for the profession and of the profession.
Compliance Certification Board
Certified in Healthcare Compliance (CHC)
The healthcare world can be a high-risk and challenging environment that demands a proactive compliance approach. Being certified in this dynamic, changing profession can help mitigate compliance-related risks.
An individual who actively holds the Certified in Healthcare Compliance (CHC)® is someone with knowledge of relevant regulations and expertise in compliance processes sufficient to assist the healthcare industry organizations in understanding and addressing legal obligations, and promote organizational integrity through the operation of effective compliance programs.
- An HCCA Membership is not necessary to attain, maintain, or renew this certification
- Certification is valid for two years, and expires the month a candidate originally passed the certification exam
Are You Ready to Become Certified?
Make sure you meet:
- CCB CEU requirements
- Work Experience Requirements or Equivalent Student Experience
Apply For the Exam
Once you've completed the Steps to Certification you can apply to take the CHC exam.
This handbook provides information you will need to apply, prepare for, and take the CHC exam.Read Handbook
These programs and reference materials are created by government agencies and groups that establish policies and guidelines related to healthcare compliance and ethics, and groups that regulate compliance and ethics issues. These include:
- Federal Sentencing Guidelines, Chapter 8
- Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- OIG searchable database of excluded individuals and entities
- Office for Civil Rights U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Inspector General
- Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
- PhRMA Code
- U.S. House of Representatives
- Government Printing Office
The exam is largely based on compliance work experience and therefore an official study guide is not available for this exam. However, to help prepare for the CHC examination, CCB recommends candidates:
- Attend healthcare compliance events that provide current education in the areas you need, and as they relate to the Detailed Content Outline, which indicates the subject areas you will be tested on
- Learn from healthcare compliance industry experts and agencies about current regulations, best practices, and current government guidance
- Use the HCCAnet social network to ask questions and network with other compliance and ethics professionals and CCB certification holders
- Take the CHC Practice Examination