San Francisco Regional Conference
Friday, November 30, 2018
Walnut Creek, CA
The Enforcement Risks of Everyday Issues of Non-Compliance
Judy Waltz, Partner, Foley & Lardner
- Billing privileges revocations for non-compliance with “routine” billing rules
- Civil monetary penalty (CMP) increases
- CMPs for overpayment retention and inaccurate enrollment information
- CMPs based on data mining
- Self-disclosures: required or strategically advisable?
Investigations – Part 2
Daniel J. Falzon, Investigations & Compliance, Manager, National Special Investigations Unit, Kaiser Permanente
Tamara Neiman, Director, National Special Investigations Unit, Kaiser PermanentePlanning and Working an Investigation
- Interviewing Protocol and Techniques
- Referring a Case to Law Enforcement
- Case Studies
CURES (Controlled Substance Utilization Review and Evaluation System)
Edward Lee, MD, Medical Director, The Permanente Medical Group Technology Group
Maisha Draves, MD, MPH, edical Director of Pharmacy, The Permanente Medical Group
Carol Havens, MD, Director of Physician Education and Development, The Permanente Medical Group
Michael Matsumoto, MD, Assistant Physician-in-Chief, San Rafael, The Permanente Medical Group
- Overview of the CURES consultation requirements that went into effect on October 2, 2018.
- A panel of physician experts will discuss the multi-disciplinary approach used to implement these requirements.
- Topics include: physician education, communication, technological tools, and a roundtable discussion.
Privacy Security – Mental Health
Adam Hepworth, Associate, Foley & Lardner
- Recent updates to the federal substance-use-disorder privacy regulations at 42 CFR Part 2
- Relevant California laws protecting the confidentiality of SUD treatment records
- Tips for sharing information in integrated models of care
OCR Update and Other HIPAA Issues to Keep You Up at Night
Marti Arvin, CHC-F, CHPC, CHRC, CCEP-F, Vice President, Audit Strategy, CynergisTek, Inc.
- Overview of what OCR is doing round enforcement, ongoing compliance reviews and audits
- Recommendations for vendor management to reduce compliance risks
- Key considerations for privacy and compliance professionals in incident response plans.